2010年7月18日星期日

Motorola DROID A855 Android Phone (Verizon Wireless) - This is NO iphone


I am really surprised by all the good reviews, to be honest. My husband's office bought them for everyone, I got one too - they are now looking to change to the iphone once they are not tied to AT &T (fall?), everyone hates this phone. Two people went back to their Blackberries. Since most of the reviews focus on the good things, I'll be the one complaining - here's the bad:

The email:
~it will pull up a certain amt of emails from your other account (yahoo, gmail, whatever you tell it), but it lists them all as unread - and makes a noise each time which you can deactivate but you would actually want this when you have legitimate new emails. So it is continuously telling you you have new emails. It's to the point I never believe it when it is telling me i have new mail.

~it will bring up emails you have deleted over and over and over if you have deleted them on your droid but not from your actual email account (yahoo or whatever), and you have to delete them from both, one does not cover the other. They have an option that should fix this but it does not.

~it does not have a spam filter, and so every spam email that would be diverted there on your reg email shows up in your inbox on the droid.

~there is no search function in the email


~ it will only go so far back in the email and starts over repopulating the email queue every time you restart the phone. And again will list all the old emails as unread, so you have tons of "new" mail. There are a certain # of emails it will pull up and if you delete some email it can then fit in more of your old email (does this make sense?) in that list, again listing them as unread. My phone will ding all damn day if I don't stop it.

~ the past week or two it will go for hours and even days w/o getting new email so I have to power it down to get it to get the new emails to show up.

The phone part of the phone:

~ It uses the same provider we had yet seems much worse, drops calls all the time - which NEVER happened before.
~ The speaker is not very good, people have a hard time hearing me and on my end it cuts out all the time. Need this for when I am on hold, navigating automated answer lines, etc.
~ where your ear hits on the phone will sometimes hang it up
~ The screen time-out function to save on battery life is irritating when you are using the phone and need to push a button but the screen is blacked out, you have to get it started back up again and I have missed the window more than once for whatever I was supposed to be pushing a button for. (For example, if I am on hold in the voicemail queue and they say press 1 for whatever, and the screen has blacked out, by the time I get the screen back and get the numbers to show up on the phone, I have missed the question and have to start over.)
~ If you don't lock the screen it is extremely easy to dial someone when it's in your pocket, etc.

The rest of the phone:

~ battery life is not wonderful, I often see it getting towards the yellow "warning" sign late afternoon.
~ The keypad takes some getting used to, but that is something you'd have to deal with no matter what phone you get. The auto-fill is both good and bad, have sent emails with words I did not intend if I don't really pay attention.
~ have had some issues with it not "feeling" my fingers on it - will miss calls, etc when I am trying to answer - super irritating

~ Does have the ability to zoom in (but not out?!) by moving your fingers to "open up" the document, web page, etc - but it is touch and go on this, usually just gives a bar that has a +/- and you have to click on it, then go back to the area you were want to zoom in on, click again, find the area you wanted to zoom again - it only zooms a little bit each time and keeps moving the part of the page you wanted to see bigger. This option does not exist at all in email - so some emails are impossible to read on the droid. This I HATE.
~ It continuously turns the screen to the side when I did not move the phone - so goes from portrait to landscape, over and over. I have to bang on the top or the bottom of the phone to get it to recognize I want it in the portrait mode.

The good thing is the ability to use the browser easily, and when it works right, to put a bunch of info into everyone's contact list easily - will automatically add addresses, etc if it has them from somewhere else. By saying "when it works right", I am referring to the fact that my phone combined the contact info for my Mother-in-Law and a woman I am friends with but often avoid her calls - she is a talker and I rarely have the energy/time to take her calls, prefer to answer her by email. Well I am now tricked into taking her calls! Fixing that now.

没有评论:

发表评论